Detergents are defined by Regulation (EC) 648/2004, Article 2, paragraph 1 as follows:
- Any substance or mixture containing soaps and/or other sufactants intended for washing and cleaning processes
- «auxiliary washing mixture»
- «laundry fabric - softener»
- «cleaning mixture»
- «other cleaning and washing mixtures» intended for any other washing and cleaning processes
The regulation repeals five previous Directives regarding the biodegradability of surfactants detergents (Directives 73/404/EEC, 73/405/EEC, 82/242/EEC, 82/243/EEC and 86/94/EEC) and the Recommendation 89/542/EEC regarding the labelling of detergents. The regulation also proposes the uniform and simultaneous harmonisation of the detergent rulings in the member States, encouraging the simplification of further modifications.
For further details, the Regulation text is available at this link.
The Regulation aims to harmonize:
- The biodegradability of surfactants and the following bans or restrictions that might be imposed when placed on the market
- The labelling of detergents for both domestic and professional use
- The information that manufacturers must hold at the disposal of the Member States’ competent authorities and medical personnel
Manufacturers must list on the label all the ingredients reported in decreasing quantity by weight, as well as a website from where the consumers can obtain the full list of ingredients. Any allergenic substance must be indicated on the label.
Furthermore, manufacturers shall provide the technical data sheet to the medical personnel on request, without delay and free of charge, with the list of all the ingredients as stated in Annex VII.C.
Example of detergent labelling according to Regulation (EC) 648/2004.
The Trace One SDS Authoring solution
The Trace One SDS Authoring suite helps you in the information management for substances present in your products, as well as enable the content calculation for the detergent products in accordance with Regulation (EC) 648/2004. The result is then ready to be shown in the Safety data sheet and label, according to the criteria defined in the aforementioned Directive.
To know more about all software solutions concerning Trace One SDS Authoring Professional, Trace One SDS Authoring Corporate and HSM, contact our Customer Service here: EUfirstname.lastname@example.org