On February 23rd, 2022, the European Food Safety Authority on Food Contact Materials, Enzymes, and Processing Aids (CEP) published the “Safety assessment of the substance fatty acid‐coated nano precipitated calcium carbonate for use in plastic food contact materials” in accordance with the Regulation (EC) No 1935/2004 on materials and articles intended to come into contact with food.
The scope of the safety assessment highlights the following:
- Intended for use as a filler in plastics at up to 5% in contact with acidic foods and 40% in all other types of foods;
- The long-term shelf-life storage is intended for up to 6 months at room temperature or below;
- No information was provided on the specification of coating or the type of material used when incorporated into the plastic material;
- Surface analysis of LDPE samples showed a difference in migration study reports with 3% acetic acid and 10% ethanol;
- Required data on the release of nanoparticles and on the potential toxicity of the substance in nano form was not provided;
- Safety use of the substance could not be established and requires further study and investigation.
To view the complete safety assessment report, check out the Food News Monitoring System.