On July 01, 2021, the Food Safety Standards Authority of India proposed a draft regulation on “Food Safety and Standards (Ayurveda Aahar) Regulations 2021” in accordance with Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. The manufacture of Ayurveda Aahar shall be established by Food Business Operators in accordance with Schedule 4 of Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulation, 2011.
The scientific document highlights the main focal points:
- Not intended for use in infants up to the age of 24 months.
- The food business operators may alter the recipes listed in schedule IV of Food Safety and Standards (Health Supplements, Nutraceuticals, Food for Special Dietary Use, Food for Special Medical Purpose, Functional Food and Novel Food) Regulations, 2016.
- The addition of vitamins, minerals and amino acids shall not be permitted.
- The presence of natural vitamins and minerals may be declared on the label.
- Products covered under these regulations shall contain only natural food additives as specified under schedule C of these regulations.
- Products shall conform to the safety requirements specified in Schedule D of these regulations.
- Packaging of Ayurveda Aahar shall conform to the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging) Regulation, 2018.
- The labelling of Ayurveda Aahar shall be in accordance with the Food Safety and Standards (Labelling and Display) Regulations, 2020, and the specific labelling requirements provided in these regulations.
To view the complete regulation, check out the Food News Monitoring System.