On April 04, 2021, the GCC Gulf Standardization Organization scientific opinions published draft standards and has updated the GSO Technical regulation No. GSO 18/2006 "Non-Alcoholic Carbonated Beverages" by Saudi Arabia. The draft Technical regulation GSO 18/2021 has been prepared based on relevant ADMO, International and National foreign Standards and references.
The scientific document refers to non-alcoholic carbonated beverages and carbonated water. Key points are summarized below:
- The GSO standard is applicable for microbial criteria and chemical analysis.
- Nutritional labelling requirements must comply with the standard. If the product contains caffeine, it shall be clearly declared.
- The water used in the preparation of non-alcoholic carbonated beverages and carbonated water shall be potable and complying with the Gulf standard as provided.
- The carbon dioxide used the preparation of non-alcoholic carbonated beverages and carbonated water shall comply with the Gulf standard.
- Heavy metals shall not exceed 0.2ppm for lead and 0.1ppm for arsenic.
- Packaging, transportation and storage rules have been clearly indicated.
- Additives shall be free from impurities and shall comply with regulatory standards
The draft is open for public comments till June 01, 2021.
Check our Food News Monitoring System to sta up-to-date on future standards issues.